Monday, July 17, 2006

Didn't your mother ever tell you to sit up straight???

So as of late I've been having back problems, mostly from sitting in front of my computer, and aggrevated by rowing (Matt, I need you to come back at the least to erg with me and show me what I'm doing wrong again!!!).

Anyway, last Thursday I was in major pain, and have since come to an even more acute realization that...my posture really sucks. I mean really.

Even worse, this thought was confirmed by friends and even my significant other. It's one thing to know it or suspect it in your head, but when the people you're close with flat out agree with you, "Yeah, your posture really does suck"...ouch.

Anyway, now I'm trying to remember to sit up straight, and am contemplating buying a new desk chair that's better for my back.

But I can't help but wish I had a metal rod up my spine like Robyn, who has the best posture I've ever seen.

1 Comments:

At 7:34 PM, Blogger Matt said...

My advice:
-use your abs more (strain might be happening from over-reliance on your back; also, are you reaching too far forward?);
-add some sit-up/crunches/ab work to a daily/bi-daily routine, to strengthen your abs and help take pressure off you back; and
-don't necessarily need a new chair: just start by trying not to lean back in it (sit up straight, mid-way back on the seat, and resist the urge to lean back against the rest).

And no, my mom never told me to sit up straight ;)

(And I'm trying to figure out a way there... must close on condo first, tho.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home