Tuesday, January 10, 2006

"It's a Nazi hoedown!"

Greetings and Happy New Year, faithful readers. I guess there are at least two of you out there who asked me to update, so voilà.

I've been feeling pretty uninspired since last semester ended. Again, I blame phonology. Although I did mangage to pass, it drained ever fiber of my being and has caused my hair to start turning gray. For real.

And hooray! The next semester begins next week!

So I guess I can give you some hightlights of what's happened since my last post...

Dec 19
Go to campus to turn in my final papers for my sociolinguistics class. While I'm there, check grades and see that I PASSED the bastard class of eternity (phonology)! Have a great conversation with my socio professor and he agrees to work with me on my thesis. Get really happy and excited but then start thinking about how much work I have ahead of me. Feel depressed.

Dec 21
So after going to Louisiana over Thanksgiving and spending way more time in the car than with my family, I asked my mom if she would like to come here for Christmas instead of me going there. One trip to Monroe a year is plenty. She agrees and arrives in Austin.

Dec 23

After spending the previous day shopping, Marilyn (my mom) and I go to San Antonio to hang out on the Riverwalk, see the lights, and meet up with Raul. She and I manage to have one of our celebre marathon fights (still not sure what it was about) but smooth things over in time for dinner.

Dec 24

Unwrap presents, go to Midnight Mass, mom gets über sick and almost has to be taken to the hospital. Merry Christmas.

Dec 25
I go across the street to my cousin's for dinner while my mom stays in bed. Later on she feels good enough to join us.

Dec 26
Marilyn's feeling better and we shop and do that whole thing.

Dec 27
Marilyn leaves.

Dec 28-Dec 30

I really don't remember...but probably recovering from Marilyn's visit and attempting to thoroughly clean out my room. Oh I think I also saw King Kong. Peter, it's called an EDITOR. Hire one.

Dec 31
New Year's eve party with Raul...Happy New Year!

Jan 1
Erm...I think I just hung out all day. Oh, and went to Target.

Jan 2-Jan 9

This has all passed in a blur, but overall:
*Watched the Irish sadly lose to the evil Ohio State Buckeyes in the Fiesta Bowl, laughed at Bowden and Paterno in the Orange Bowl, danced with joy as Texas delivered a crushing blow to EVIL EVIL USC. Muhahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
*Saw 28 Days Later on video, which kind of made me giggle like a little girl.
*Also saw The Producers (hence the Nazi reference in the title)
*Studied a lot of Spanish in the attempt to not be incredibly underprepared next semester when I take an advanced class that I am not qualified for. I'm not optimistic.

Books read over break:
*Fast Food Nation: absolutely horrifying. At first I thought I'd just jump the fence and completely convert vegetarian, but I decided I'd rather just start buying free range meat to support the industry. At least the animals were happy before they were slaughtered.

*The Namesake: I'm in the middle of this one right now...it's pretty damn good.

*Are Men Necessary?: Yes, the new book by liberal sex kitten Maureen Dowd. Rowr. I just bought this yesterday and am oh so excited to read it.

And so that sums up the latest with me. I am not looking forward to next semester...it's going to kill me, probably worse than last semester did. I anticipate way more gray hairs.

Aren't I bright and cheery???

Happy New Year to all of you. I would say that my New Year's resolution is to blog more often, but that would be a big lie, and would also violate my resolution to not tell lies.

Actually, that's a lie also, I didn't make any New Year's resolutions. But Happy New Year regardless, and I'll do my best to update.

3 Comments:

At 3:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What did you think of Are Men Necessary?

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger Court said...

Who is this??

It was really good. Hysterical. I thought I might come away bitter, but I just ended up laughing my a$$ off.

 
At 8:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

a loyal reader :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home