Monday, August 22, 2005

Can't Fake the Funk

Happy Monday everybody. I woke up this morning, realizing that this is my last full week of freedom before school recommences. Gah. Even though I've been climbing the walls with all my "free time" this summer, I still don't know if I'm ready to take that plunge back into the real world. Sigh.

In any case, this turned out to be a very entertaining weekend. The fun(k) started Friday night, when a few of us from crewU gathered to watch our fellow member DJ at Red's Scoot Inn on Austin's east side.

While we all agreed that what happened at Red's Scoot Inn would stay at Red's Scoot Inn, I can spare a few details.

First, when we arrived, the dance floor was vide. Vide, until crewU got out there to shake things up. Trendsetters, we are. The music was funk, which I have never really danced to before (other than "Brick House" and "Play That Funky Music" at SMC SYRs) but enjoyed immensely. Richard was even kind enough to demonstrate his chicken moves, and can I just say that no one clucks quite like him.

Further adding to the fun was the old black guy in the wheelchair who sat underneath the DJ stand with his microphone, adding his own funky groove.

Hoola hoops, a waterless fountain, a gigantic fan, shower curtains in the bathroom stalls...good times were had by all.

Saturday I had planned to spend recovering from the night before, but the forces of nature did not agree. I spent most of the day running around, and finally crashed out to watch "Supersize Me". OMG. Can I just say I wanted to vomit right along with him? And can I also just mention how horrified I am about the french fries that had not decomposed after 10 weeks?

Heebie. Jeebies.

Sunday I went sculling, and I'm proud to say I docked all by myself for the very first time! Whohoo! I then came home and rewarded myself with a nice long nap. The rest of the day was spent puttering until I decided to go across the street to see my cousin. I had only planned on staying a little while, but we ended up watching movies, then decided to catch up on life. So I didn't get home until almost 1 a.m. Oy. Sleep takes the back seat once again.

Today I am pumped, because I'm going to San Antonio to see Mark Lundholm, my favorite comedian ever.

And the plan for the rest of the week? Enjoy the carefree easy living of summer as much as possible, cause it's almost over.

3 Comments:

At 12:27 PM, Blogger yayaempress said...

I think I've eaten fast food only once since I watched Supersize Me and I watched that move like 6 to 9 months ago. Eeek!

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger Oddball said...

Salut Court!
Excuse my ignorance of US geography, but will you/your family in Lousy-ana be affected when Katrina and the Waves [the name of an 80's British band] hits tommorrow? Hope everything will be ok chez toi!

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger Court said...

Neha! Is that you?!?!

Yeah, it's headed directly for New Orleans, where I have family although we haven't heard from them...

My brother and his wife are in Baton Rouge not too far away...they were in Monroe (in NE La) where my mom lives...but my brother the thrill seeker decided he wanted to go home and see the storm. Ai.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home