Thursday, June 09, 2005

Chiant.

First of all, a big shout out to my friend Mike, who called me at 3 a.m. Michigan time just to say hello!

Another shout out to my brother Yves, who turns 30 today!!! Happy Birthday mon frère.

I was again on my own today, so I decided to take a train into La Baule, this cute little town that's right on the Atlantic Ocean.

I've been there a few times...when I was little and we came to France for the first time, Lionel would take us to the beach to swim...I want to say it's actually the first beach I ever went to. I remember wearing my maroon IAC (Indian Acquatic Club) swim suit, digging a huge hole in the sand with Yves, watching it fill with water when the tide came in, then burying Yves in the sand. What I remember most, however, is how fascinated my brother was by all the topless women who were sun bathing. That is, he was excited until he realized that the wrinkly old ladies were walking around topless as well.

In any case, while I have been to the beach in La Baule several times, I have never really walked around town all that much, so I thought since it was such a beautiful day it was time to do it.

I wanted to take a train that left around noonish, but the bus was running late, so by the time I got there, I only had a few minutes. The guy at the ticket counter told me I could probably make it, handed me my ticket, and then I SWEAR to you I heard him say, "Go to Platform 6."

So I hauled ass (RAN) to platform 6, and no sooner had I jumped into the train did the doors close. Phew.

Yes, phew...until...

I started thinking it was bizarre that I was on a TER train when it didn't say anything about that on my ticket...and that this train left a minute later than I thought it was supposed to...

But I kept reassuring myself with the fact that the ticket man told me I left from Platform 6.

Finally, 45 minutes later, when we pulled into some other town and the ocean was nowhere to be seen, I figured I better get off and ask.

I wish I could have taken a picture of the face the guy at the ticket counter made when I told him I was wanting to go to La Baule. Priceless.

Fortunately for me, I hadn't been controlled on the train, so my ticket was still valid. Unfortunately for me, by the time I got back to Nantes, it was already almost 3 p.m., and there wasn't another train to La Baule unti 4.

So I got reimbursed for my ticket, then ended up walking around centre ville again. And to comfort myself, I went back to Kazana, where Louise brought me last Saturday, and bought myself another scarf.

Cheaper than another ticket to La Baule and it'll last longer too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home