Monday, May 02, 2005

"Ummm, technically, since you're in the *French* department, they like you to do your papers in *French*" --Anonymous Grad Student

Greetings earthlings,

Blogging to you during the last week of school, when all hell has broken loose. Actually, things are somewhat manageable for the moment...I have two papers to write, which, for the first time in my life, I'm not too worried about.

Especially since I talked my one professor into letting me do it in English. It took some convincing, but he agreed. I'm sorry, but I just can't say the same things I want to say in French. And I frankly don't care.

On Friday, I will have my LAST SYNTAX CLASS EVER (!!!) and I'll get my take-home final exam. I am NOT looking forward to it, especially considering I have not paid any attention to what we've been learning for the past month. There's just too much going on and I don't care.

And then--when the papers are all turned in, and the exam is complete--I have to start thinking about my thesis. *DUM DUM DUUUUUUUUUUUUM* I really have no idea what I'm going to do my thesis on. I'm interested in Sociolinguistics, but the problem is my first socio class will be this fall in another department. So there's sort of an issue with my working with the prof in our department.

My other option is to do something in Second Language Acquisition, which I love, and more importantly, I also like the advisor...but I don't really know if that's going to help me get a "real" job when it's all said and done. I just feel like socio can be applied to some artsy fartsy sort of job while SLA...I really need to get a PhD for that to make any difference.

And at this point I don't think that's gonna happen.

So I'll keep you all posted. But in the meantime, I am ready for summer!

Here are my summer goals:

1. Sit around and do nothing.
2. Blog about more interesting things more frequently.
3. Row, row, row, until my hands are calloused and my back is aching.
4. Visit my brother and sister-in-law in Baton Rouge.
5. Learn Spanish.
6. Do some more "fun" writing.
7. Visit my aunt, uncle and cousin in Seattle.
8. Read Harry Potter Book 6
9. Go to South Bend, Indiana.
10.Refer to number 1.

What a productive summer it's beginning to look like.

But until then, it's time to get the "real" work out of the way. Perhaps I'll post some excerpts of my interesting and ground-breaking academic work. I know you're all shivering with excitement.

Au Travail!

2 Comments:

At 10:51 AM, Blogger yayaempress said...

I'm totally with you on Summer Goal #'s 1 & 10!

 
At 7:12 PM, Anonymous matt said...

Your back shouldn't hurt so much from rowing. Legs maybe, but not so much back... ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home