Thursday, May 19, 2005

Reading for pleasure? What's that???

So I have finished my first official summer not-having-anything-to-do-with-linguistics-book. Whohoo!

And now prepare yourselves for Court's literary review:

This week's selection was entitled, A Painted House, by John Grisham. I've always kinda liked him, it goes back to my high school days, but this book was a little different. Forget about all the lawyers, governers and politicians. This book took place on a cotton farm in rural Arkansas during the 1950's. While at first I was somewhat turned off by words like "Pappy" and "Gran," I really got into it. Very exciting, as only John Grisham can do. I recommend it.

Allow me to quote my favorite part from the whole book:

...she was from Michigan, and when she spoke her words came through her nose. She clipped them quickly and efficiently, and within seconds she made my skin crawl.

'Why does she talk like that?' I asked my mother.

'She's a Yankee.' was the simple explanation.


Hee hee.

Now before all you midwesterners get on the defensive...I acquired one of your accents living up there for 6 years, and have been called a Yankee myself, so I don't mean no offense.

My next book is going to be Lucia, Lucia, by Adriana Trigiani, a fellow Saint Mary's alumna. I've actually already read this book, but it's been awhile, and I really liked it.

So there.

Ahhhh, reading for pleasure...it's been so long.

And finally, as a side note, I purchased my voucher yesterday for Harry Potter 6, coming out on July 16.

Rowr.......

3 Comments:

At 10:07 AM, Blogger srah said...

Michiganders are uber-nasal!

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger yayaempress said...

I need to go purchase my Harry Potter voucher, too. I'm so excited about the release!!

BTW, have you ever heard a Boston accent? Makes me want unplug someone's nose. :) (And I mean that in the nicest possible way)

 
At 11:41 PM, Blogger Court said...

Srah--So glad you agree! I was in NW Indiana and it was the same way...course I noticed that more in beginning, before I started talking that way myself...

Yaya: Ooooh, I bet they're going to have awesome release parties for HP in New York. Jealous. Green with envy.
You must go and take lots o' pictures.

And Boston accents--YES!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home