Friday, October 01, 2004

Phonological Anomaly

So, I've been in school a little over a month now. I'm already starting to do random things like analyze the syntax of people's coversations and emails, or noticing irregular morphogical endings, or giggling when people use "incorrect" grammar (because what is incorrect anyway?) and it's kind of fun to apply what I'm learning in real life.

But of course, that also means other people will be doing the same thing to me, including my professors, who actually know what they're talking about.

So yesterday in my Second Language Acquisition class, we were talking about "native" speakers, and how they have different accents and anomalies as well (the point being, what is "native" competency?). My professor proceeded to write the word "Strength" and asked us all to pronounce it. After my turn, he got a great gleam in his eye and said, "Say that again."

So I did.

Then he got a big smile, went around the room with everyone else, then said:

"Courtenay, say it again."
"Strength."
"Class, did you hear that?" (huge excited smile on face)
Silence.
"Courtenay, say this word..." (proceeds to write "strand" on the board)
"Strand."
(evil laughter)
"Now say this..." (writes "string" on the board)
"String." (feeling very nervous)
"Class can anyone hear what she's doing????!!!"

Apparently when I pronounce words with "Str" in them, I use an "Sh" sound. So "strength" becomes "Shtrength" and so on.

No one else in the class does that apparently.

I was then the topic of class for the next 10 minutes.

Even though I usually like it when it's "all about me", I don't know how I feel about being the class science experiment.

I kind of feel like a freak of nature. (sniff...)

7 Comments:

At 10:42 AM, Blogger yayaempress said...

Oh Court!! That sucks! I have such stage freight that I probably would have skipped class the next time around - maybe that's why I didn't finish school...

But don't worry, I'm sure it just has to do with your French. They'll have you talking like a Southern girl again in no time!

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger Court said...

Let's hope so!!! =)

 
At 1:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds pretty mean of your teacher to single you out like that. I assume he didn't mean any harm by it, but still... I guess it doesn't help that I'm a really shy person - I don't think I would have taken it well!

Jenny
On Top of the World

 
At 1:15 AM, Blogger redhairblueface said...

Great blog. Mine is at thoughtsofmike.blogspot.com.

 
At 7:18 PM, Blogger Court said...

Thanks Mike.

Yeah, I know he didn't mean anything by it--and fortunately most of the people in the class I'm pretty friendly with. And he did actually come up to me after class and ask if he had embarrassed me which was nice. Then we had a nice conversation about accents. So all worked out in the end.

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger srah said...

I bet everyone in the class pronounces *something* funny... he just hasn't found them yet. :) Bush kept "reckynizing" things in the debate on Friday!

 
At 9:45 PM, Blogger Court said...

Ah, like a rock...only dumber.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home