Monday, September 06, 2004

Blogging from Bed

Oh, let the fun begin.

We now have wireless internet at our house. Hooray hooray hooray. As Oz would say, I think we might need towels.

The wireless access was a nice little gift this evening, after a long trip back from Louisiana. I went to visit Marilyn over the holiday weekend, and needless to say, it was interesting, as always.

First, I do have to say above all else, that it is oh so awesome to be able to drive home in a day. 6.5 hours, to be exact. Yeehaw.

But the weekend was not without its problems. On my way down Friday, Marilyn called me frantic because she had been in Shreveport that day, then stopped at her office on the way back, and then realized she had lost her keys.

So when I finally got in Friday night, she was panicky, and was hoping she had left them at her office.

So bright and early Saturday morning she wakes me up to head out to Ruston. As I start to get in the car, mom shuts the front door and realizes she locked us out of the house.

Fortunately I am a good criminal, and knew how to open the door with a credit card.

Unfortunately, doing this made me very distracted. This little detail is very important. More on this later.

We drive out to LA Tech, and after a big rigamarole with the campus police, we get in her building, and joy of all joys, we find Marilyn's keys. Hooray!

We head back to Monroe and have lunch at this new place called RJ Gators. Not only do they serve actual alligator, but they also have tables that are put up on gliders, so you can swing back and forth while you eat. It's sort of fun, but then I had to stop cause I was getting sick.

In the midst of all the swinging, I look into my purse and realize I do not have my cell phone.

Hmmm...that's unusual.

So I figure I must have left it at home, although something just didn't seem right.

We get home and look all over the place. I call it to see if I can hear it ringing, and voicemail picks up right away. Also not good, because that means it's been turned off, which I never do.

As they say in the Madeleine books, "something is not right..."

My mom and I decide I must have left the keys at Tech. So in the car we go, drive the 40 minutes out there, get to her office...no phone.

Surely it's at the house.

So Marilyn and I go back and start looking. And looking. And in the midst of looking, I realize I do not have my keys either.

Not good. Not good.

We tore apart the entire house, to no avail. By this time I'm a bit panicked. I decided to call it a day and start looking again the next morning. But as I drifted off to sleep, a thought crept into my mind...What if I had put my keys and phone on top of the car when I went to help mom unlock the door and forgot about them?

No, surely not.

But maybe?....

So the next morning I start walking down the block. I cross onto the major street in the elementary school parking lot, and something glinty catches my eye. My phone!

The back had been bumped off, but it still worked. Whohoo!

So then I started looking for the keys. This did not seem to want to go my way. After covering the entire main street, no keys were to be found.

At this point I started calling locksmiths, and of course everyone was closed. Then I called about renting a car to get back to Austin, "just in cases..." and found out one way would cost $530. The woman actually laughed when she told me the price.

Then it was time for breakdown.

Then I started calling locksmiths again. I finally got through to one who said they could help and would be out first thing Mon morning.

So I spent the day in peace.

At 7 a.m. the locksmith called to say they were coming.

Whohoo!

At 7:05 a.m. the locksmith called to say that since I had a Honda, they would not be able to make a key. Apparently they only work on domestics.

Once again, time for breakdown.

In the end, I was able to get ahold of my roadside service, who was able to get ahold of another locksmith, who was able to ($100 later) get my a new set of keys to my car.

Hallelujah.

So now that I'm safely back in Austin, I'm heading to the locksmith to have about 15 sets of car keys made.

Better safe than sorry.

5 Comments:

At 11:45 AM, Blogger yayaempress said...

OMG!! And if I remember correctly where your Mom lives, there's only a gazillion people who speed through there every day! You're lucky you could at least find your phone. Oh! And John (my brother-in-law) is a locksmith if you're ever in dire need of one since he's 2 1/2 hours away.

 
At 2:06 PM, Blogger Court said...

Yeah, it pretty much sucked.

I didn't know John was a locksmith! I shall file this away for future reference...(but hopefully I won't need to retrieve it!)

 
At 10:40 PM, Blogger srah said...

When you say "just in cases" are you quoting Love, Actually?

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger Court said...

I was! I was wondering if anyone would get that...

 
At 11:36 PM, Blogger Big Oz said...

I just blogged from bed, too! How much fun is this??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home