Monday, August 23, 2004

With my own kind...

Hello again, and excuse the lengthy blogging pause. Have I mentioned how much I despise not having internet access at home? Because I despise it, I really do. Good news is I discussed with the housemate about getting hi-speed and I think she is fine with it. Yeehaw.

This weekend was fairly uneventful. Friday I went to a place called Vivos with my housemate and her friends. Quite impressive, from the loverly tropical plant garden that we ate in, to the ice chips and rose petals in the bathroom sinks, to the long stemmed roses you got on the way out. Oh, and awesome food too. Ironically, out of 8 people, my housemate was the only one originally from Texas. But that seems to be pretty common here.

This weekend I was really hit with the realization that I am a stranger in a strange land. Not that people aren't super nice, but I was really aware of the fact that it was the weekend and I knew no one to go out with. Which also strikes me as funny, because I never actually went out all that much when I was in South Bend and knew "everyone". But of course the grass is always greener.

Sunday night I was just about ready to go climb the walls, and my housemate invited me to join them at the movies. Hooray. The only thing was I was the only one not part of a couple. So that got a little awkward from time to time. But I'm not complaining. I was grateful just to get out of the house and stop feeling like such a loser.

Fortunately today I got to meet the entire French dept and other TAs/AIs, so hopefully the social aspect will start picking up soon. Can I tell you how cool it is to be in a room of like-minded people with the same sort of interests? I feel like everyone speaks my "language", and I'm not talking just about French. Rather, all the things that I love about French and languages in general, and I'm surrounded by dorks who feel the same way.

Needless to say, I feel like I fit in pretty well. Everyone is really nice, in spite of the little rivalry between the literature and linguistics tracks (Battle of the Dorks). We all met for lunch a little while ago and tonight is happy hour at a place called Dog and Duck. Hooray for not sitting at home alone!

This morning I passed by a bunch of students carrying instruments, and realized that band camp was starting. Brought back some wistful (or not so wistful) memories.

I've decided that so far I love Austin. There is so much to do here. Shops, food, movies, etc etc etc.

Yeehaw.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home