Wednesday, July 07, 2004

By popular demand...BAM!

Well I have been flooded with requests for the fromage blanc recipe.

Actually, I've only had two people email me about it, but I like to pretend I'm more important than I am.

And my mom also told me that Emeril had it on his show yesterday, and she walked an extra 15 minutes on the treadmill so she could watch it, therefore, I have to make it worth her while.

So in the spirit of spreading fromage blanc love all over the world, here goes:

First, you must know that fromage blanc does actually exist in the States, in the beautiful state of Louisiana. It is called "Creole Cream Cheese" however. My mom said when she was a kid they always had a carton in the Frigidaire, and they used to eat it right out of the box with sugar on top.

As I understand it, fromage blanc or creole cream cheese is expensive to mass produce because of all the dairy regulations in the states, so it has almost died out. You can still buy it in New Orleans, thanks to Chef John Folse, but it's hard to find, and can be a bit pricey.

Fortunately, it is quite easy to make on your own, so without further ado, I present to you:

Fromage Blanc or Creole Cream Cheese
1 gallon skim milk
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 Rennet tablet (you can find these in the grocery store by the ice cream toppings)

Heat milk to 80 or 90 degrees. Stir in buttermilk and rennet and set aside at room temperature. If you have to cover it, use cheesecloth. After 24 hours, you will have curds. Pour this into a mold (I used a colandar or you can get a plastic container and punch holes in the bottom) and allow to drain for another day or so.

The fromage is ready when it's no longer dripping.

In Louisiana, they usually pour cream or half and half over it to serve. You can also find recipes using fromage blanc/creole cream cheese from Chef John Folse and Emeril. It can be both a dessert or a meal-type food. For example, in Alsace, they serve it with garlic, onions, and roasted potatoes.

A couple notes on texture--when I finished mine, it had the consistency of ricotta. To get it more like French fromage blanc, I poured a little milk and half and half in it and used a blender to whip it.

Oh, and if you're a Fromage Blanc virgin, the best way to eat this is with strawberries. And maybe a little sugar on top.

Delish.

5 Comments:

At 3:21 PM, Blogger cristina said...

is fromage blanc the stuff that can be sold flavored in little yogurt-like cups (in france)? if so, then that is good stuff.

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger srah said...

Thank you Court! You may have saved me from a September nervous breakdown!

Cristina - it's like Petits Suisses. Do you know that brand?

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger Big Oz said...

Do we not worry about the milk being un-refrigerated for that long? I have food safety issues...

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger yayaempress said...

so, court, i'm gonna have to post that on my blog and give you a trackback. thanks for the recipe! you know we'll have to try that soon at a family get together. might i suggest thanksgiving?

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger Court said...

Happy to help any way I can srah.

Mmmm...ptit suisses...

No worries Ozzie...the rennet keeps it from spoiling. I have yet to die.

Good idea Donna! And I think I'll be home for Thanksgiving this year too! Mmmm...turkey and fromage blanc...=)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home