Wednesday, May 26, 2004

Six Months Plus Tard: London Still=Fundon

Hello friends, it is good to be back in blogland after my little vacation to the ouest. After spending 6 hours in an incredibly uncomfortable reclining siege, I am back in Strasbourg and trying to start organizing mes affairs because I LEAVE IN A WEEKISH! June 5th actually. My mom told me this morning she received the box of stuff I shipped home. Tant mieux. I might decide to send another one alors.

The rest of our time in Nantes was fabulous, complete with a chateau visit, homeade crepes and gallettes, shopping, and lunch at a restaurant that specialized in potatoes. Mmmmmm...

There were some tears shed as I said goodbye to Lionel, Vero and Louise, but soon I had the city of London to wipe them away.

So without further ado, here are the highlights:

Friday
Leave Nantes, arrive at the Gare Montparnasse, hop on the metro to Gare du Nord.

Check in for the Eurostar, which = trop cool.

Drop passport and have a momentary heart attack when I realize what I did.

Profusely thank the controller who saw it and handed it back to me.

Wait for boarding. Admire hot young Englishman sitting in waiting room.

Board train. Delight in the discovery that hot young Englishman is sitting next to me.

Get offended when hot young Englishman gets up to sit in an empty seat when the train starts.

Decide I am pleased to have a seat all to myself.

Arrive Waterloo.

Immediately know I am no longer in France when I see an organized line forming for customs.

Meet the Oz and walk to Bankside House.

Chat.

Decide we must buy cheese. Walk to convenience store. Freak out over seeing English everywhere.

Return to Bankside with stash. Mange. Watch Sprockets. Then watch Alias. (sigh...)

*Organize a little pallette of blankets on Oz's floor.

Sleep.

Saturday
*Rise with minimal back pain.

Head to cantine for English breakfast.

Get detailed instructions from Oz on where to catch the bus. Leave him to study.

Walk to St. Paul's to catch bus.

Wait.

Wait.

Wait.

Wonder why the bus hasn't come yet.

See the bus I need, and then see it drive past without slowing down.

Decide I should perhaps take the tube.

See another, less crowded, bus stop and decide to wait there.

Wait.

Wait.

Am approached by German couple asking for directions. Am flattered but cannot really help out.

As I am speaking to German couple, bus comes.

Bus drives away without me in it.

German girl apologizes for making me miss the bus and asks me where I'm from.

Give schpeel about living in Strasbourg.

German guy excitedly responds with, "Mwah mwah mwah mwah Kehl" (think Charlie Brown teacher).

German girl translates, "We are from Kehl."

Wow! Kehl would be right next to Strasbourg. Small world.

Bus 4 comes again. Court waves it down.

Success.

Ride bus towards Upper Street. On the way bus hits a car and we stop for about 10 minutes.

Make it to Upper Street.

Buy shoes.

Visit Olga so she can work her magic on my eyebrows.

Get back on bus toward Oxford Street.

Passenger informs the driver that man is having a heart attack on bus. Bus stops to await ambulance. Everyone is kicked off bus.

Decide I am never taking a bus in London again.

Take another one anyway.

Go to Oxford and find Subway.

Am happy.

Spend afternoon in Marks and Sparks.

Return to Bankside for dinner.

This is the part of Alias when we dance.

Sunday
Sleep late.

*A bit of a backache that goes away shortly.

Go to Starbucks for a latte and newspaper.

Head out with the Oz for the Lord of the Rings concert, played by the London Philarmonic, featuring music from the soundtrack, and directed by none other than Howard Shore himself. Could you do any better than this?

You could try, but you would not be successful.

Listen to amazing music.

Get goosebumps.

Am moved to tears.

Goosebumps again.

More tears.

You get the idea.

Leave the concert feeling as though I could now die happy.

Leave Oz to study and head out to explore more of Londres by foot.

Decide I love Londres.

Monday
*Yeah, my back is a little sore now.

Hit the Tower of London.

Witness all the history I learned from Mrs. Grahm and Mrs. Claussen's 11th and 12th grade English classes come to life.

Wow.

Head out to the West End for some shopping.

Have lunch at TGI FRIDAYS and have a grilled chicken ceasar salad with REAL ceasar dressing!!!!

Get a FREE REFILL. (Ah, America, how I miss you)

Meet Oz and his fellow Decision Scientists to celebrate the end of their exams. A decision is quickly made on where to go.

Realize after awhile that I am sitting in a bar with a bunch of people who call themselves "Decision Scientists."

Reflect on this for awhile.

Have a late-night adventure featuring Oz, two British girls, and the Thames River.

You don't want to know.

Tuesday
*Ouch, my back.

Head to Westminster Abbey.

Am incredibly moved by Poet's Corner and the Nave. Feel the history pouring through my veins.

Leave Abbey and hit Subway for one last delicious lunch.

Sit by the river and read.

Meet Oz and head out to Waterloo.

Leave loverly Angleterre.

Arrive in Paris.

Visit some friends.

Head to Gare de l'Est.

Hop on the night train for the longest most uncomfortable night I can remember.

Wednesday
Arrive in Strasbourg at 5:30 a.m.

**************************************************************************
Can I tell you how much I love London? Cause I do, I love London. I'm glad I got to come back and see all the stuff I didn't get to see the last time.

Thanks to Oz for hosting me.

Now it is time to get serious about the packing and such. I can't believe I'm leaving in a little more than a week. Yikes.

*Less you think the Oz is a bad host, it was my choice to sleep on the floor rather than ordering a bed. What can I say, I'm poor. And cheap.

2 Comments:

At 6:01 AM, Blogger Big Oz said...

Thanks for coming, baby. If it hadn't been for that stupid test...

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger Court said...

Yeah. Stupid Test!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home