Saturday, May 15, 2004

Never a Dull Moment

What an exciting day! I honestly don't know what I'm going to do when I go back to my normal old boring life in the USA.

It all started this morning, when I was awakened around 6:30 by screaming. This is actually quite normal at place St. Etienne, although as I was going in and out of conciousness, I began to realize this screaming was a bit different.

It reminded me of when we used to get a Water Moccasin or a turtle in our backyard (those situations can arise when you have a bayou behind your house). We always knew something was going on because our dogs would start barking in this really weird way.

So eventually I realized something was wrong and got up to look out the window. The next thing I know, some guy storms out into the place wearing a white shirt that is literally drenched in blood.

Holy Sh*t.

So I start trying to remember what 911 is in France, and how to explain what's happening in French. Fortunately, while I was thinking, about 5 police cars showed up, so I was spared.

I don't really know what happened, because everyone was directly under the building. I saw one guy with blood all in his hair and on his face get handcuffed and put in the ambulance. And apparently the other guy was sent away too. In a different ambulance.

Once again, Holy Sh*t.

So after all this hoopla, I tried unsuccessfully to get back to sleep. I finally managed to drag myself out of bed a few hours later.

The rest of the day, fortunately, got much better.

I met up with Cecile to attend the "Ateliers Ouverts," a city-wide thing where you can visit local artists' homes/studios and look at their work. So not only did we get to see some cool art, but I got to nose around in a lot of nifty apartments in old buildings.

We spent the day looking around, and Cecile was kind enough to point out some cool things I've never seen before, including an olive oil store, the Cathedral dog, and the strongest man in the world.

When we parted, I walked around town a bit and witnessed a manisfestation for Jesus. At the same time, the Portuguese Association had their own non-related little march with drums through town.

The day finally ended with the completion of Mission Impossible. Here's the background:

The movie theatre put up a ton of cool posters on one of the main streets today for Harry Potter/Prisoner of Azkaban.

All you fellow HP nuts probably have seen it--the whole "Have You Seen This Wizard?" and has Sirius Black holding up his prisoner sign. Oh, and it's all in French, so it actually says, "Avez Vous Vu Ce Sorcier?"

They are quite cool, and as soon as I saw them I wanted to take one, but there were too many people around.

So tonight I recruited an enthusiastic Hannah and together we went out to Grande Rue and discreetly stole 4 of them.

We were planning on taking another when this group of people walked by, and this girl asks us what we're carrying.

Hannah was cool, calm, and collected. Court, on the other hand, began to get nervous, and actually debated pretending she didn't speak French.

Instead of playing "stupid foreigner" however, we decided to use the old standby, "Everyone else is doing it".

The one chick called us sinners until we hinted that they should take some for themselves. Her eyes began to gleam.

Then we took off, watching them cautiously look around and take their own.

Phew. Scary Moment. But it all worked out in the end. And now I have a cool poster.

I had more excitement today than I've had all week. I suddenly feel like Xena, Warrior Princess, or Jana of the Jungle. You know, in that whole adventuresome kind of way...

1 Comments:

At 5:52 AM, Blogger srah said...

*SINNERS*? Oy vey.

Coming back to the US is going to be hard! Do you have a job here yet? Don't let yourself sit around too much and dwell on the differences between the countries... find yoursel' a nice cheese shop over here. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home